Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pop


Pop and I had a very sweet visit. He is more frail than the last visit I had. He is losing weight, losing control of some bodily functions, but he is of great humor. My prayer has been that he not be in pain....and he isn't. I love looking into those blue eyes. I love you Pop!! When I first got there he was looking a bit like a vagrant. He is a very independent and proud man who doesn't like to ask for help. He doesn't have the dexterity and is no longer able to shave his head or face. So, together we went outside and I shaved his head and then his face. The eyebrows were another story. Those wiry little devils were pointing every which direction reaching toward the sun.....I got the hang of trimming them by the second eyebrow ;) I asked him if I could take pictures of his tattoos. He has been embarrassed by these, so he always wore long sleeves to cover them up. He was in the Korean war, he got these tattoos back in 1949. They are faded, but oh so beautiful.
I can't tell what this is anymore......
A snake head with a dagger through it......
A bird...an eagle maybe, with a snake wrapped around it.......

hmmmm, me thinks there's a pattern forming.....snakes and women....hmmmm.....
Pop and his sister, Karen. She is my favorite aunt. She and I are very close, like sisters. Everyday Auntie Karen goes over to his house to make sure he eats dinner, cleans, does his laundry. She is an incredible caregiver, an angel, really.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Hi Chris,

I've been thinking about you praying for you. What a loving tribuite to your Dad! Hope you're doing okay, Ellen

jgr said...

Hi Chris,
I'm glad to see your post. You and your Dad are very much on my mind and in my prayers. I know much of what you're going through and it reminds me of my Mom. I'm sending you prayers of strength and peace.

breathe as me said...

what a beautiful and tender post... it is so wonderful to see how much joy you are sharing during your time with your dad... his face just has joy written all over it... i especially love how you tell of shaving his head... what a priceless time together...

thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me...

it is wonderful to see you posting here again, and sharing this incredibly special time with your dad...

you are in my heart and prayers...
xo