Wednesday, July 22, 2009

hello again my friend

It's been too, too long since I much has been going on. Since I last wrote, I had my 50th birthday. How about that. To tell you the truth, I don't feel any different. I promised myself I was going to go boldly into 50. Live fuller-larger, notice more, be grateful more.
My Aunt Karen had the family over to celebrate Father's Day. Here is my handsome Dad. I love you Pop, you mean the world to me. The cancer is spreading, he is losing weight, he just doesn't have an appetite anymore. I arranged for a meeting with a social worker and a hospice nurse. I (the big coward), told my dad that we were going to meet regarding his future health care. I was happy he was agreeable to that. I had a grim view of hospice. The nurse was amazing. He explained everything about hospice. It's so much more than I thought. She arranged for a nurse to come by his house once weekly. What a Godsend. When the nurse feels he needs more care, she'll come by more often. He can stay home as long as he is able to care for himself. When his is no longer able to do that, she arranged for a swing bed at the hospital nearby-when he needs full-time care. I am grateful, oh so very grateful.
My favorite Aunt, Dad's little sister. She is a blast. Every Thanksgiving, she puts out a BIG feast. The next day, she and I go shopping. We usually go to Tomah-to Burnstad's European Village. It's a fun "mall" with lots of little shops. We go out for coffee, and breakfast, and lunch and.....wear ourselves out. It's the only day of the year that we get to spend alone together.
Jack happened to be visiting on Father's Day.....I love his happy face.
The other thing that was keeping me busy, was getting ready for my solo show (my first!) at Charlene's Gallery Ten in Gill's Rock--Door County. My show was in the tower gallery. A very cool little space at the top of a spiral staircase. I had about 11 pieces hung. I am at this very moment, kicking myself in the pants because I took individual pictures of all the pieces, but not as a group. (kick-kick-kick)

There was a 2 hour artist's reception in the afternoon. During the time I was there I sold 4 exciting is that?! I love meeting and talking to the people that have decided to take my art home. It's such an honor that someone would want to hang my art in there home.

........and then there's the coming home......eek! Time to clear a walkway-don't you think? Oy, what a mess. Well, it doesn't look like that anymore. I spend 2 days picking up and putting away. Charlene invited me back up to Gallery Ten on Labor Day weekend. She's having an outdoor event, artist demonstrations, canopies filled with art...the gallery filled with art. Sounds like fun, doesn't it? So that brings me to the next thing.....I need to get busy making more copper pieces. Yikes! I have a booth to fill..........


Ruth Armitage said...

Congratulations on your first solo show Chris! The pieces are beautiful, I'm not surprised you did so well! And congrats on getting signed up for hospice. I know it was a godsend for my dad. Thinking of you :)

Ellen said...

Hi Chris, so glad to see a new post on your blog. I loved the pictures of your Dad and aunt. How exciting about your art, that is very cool. I liked the picture of your messy studio too. Hang in there!

jgr said...

Hi Chris, very exciting to hear about your show!! I'm happy for you. Also, I can tell you the hospice people we had were wonderful. I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.