Saturday, May 19, 2012

Plaster bowls

 Saturday glorious Saturday! 
 It's already a gorgeous day outside.  
The windows are wide open in my studio.  
Thought I would show you a couple of bowls I'm working on.



Hand built plaster bowl (8.5 " across) with a layer of encaustic medium on top.
Next a layer of amber shellac that was set on fire.
It's been drying for a week, now it's ready for the next step.


Another plaster bowl (13.5" across) that I intentionally smashed,
going for the relic look.
It also has a layer of encaustic medium and a layer of shellac that was burned.
F-i-r-e  g-o-o-d.
It dried for a week, then I rubbed Pan pastel all over it.
 The dried shellac acts as a resist,
while the thicker areas of shellac are still a bit tacky.
Turquoise and amber are beautiful together.
This is ready for a layer of encaustic medium.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

7 comments:

Jeane Myers said...

these are gorgeous!!

Chris said...

Thanks Jeane, they are pretty addictive!

jgr said...

Hi Chris, these bowls are amazing! I love the colors and all the nooks and crannies.

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

so stunning and gorgeous colors, exquisite bowls chris. glad to see you back! xo

Judy Shreve said...

Chris - these are gorgeous. I'd like to try this technique on clay. I'm happy to see you are posting again!

red-handed said...

More mottled yellows, like so much baked yoke. Nice.

Chris said...

Thanks all! I'm working on a couple of things, impatiently waiting for the shellac to dry. Hope to post them soon.