Monday, January 12, 2009

Art Journal Day 12


This format of working on a page a day is freeing. You don't have time to obsess and fret and procrastinate and then just plain give up. How many of us are perfectionists?! Things have to be just so, and if the planets aren't lining up just right, (my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek)... forgetaboutit. I did this page this morning in about 20-30 min., in between getting ready for work. I was thinking about a quote by e e cummings, "once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit"
There is a first part to this quote which says "we do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch."
A HUGE problem I have is not believing in myself, always second guessing myself.
So much of this goes hand in hand, encouragement, risk, affirmation, confidence......lather, rinse, repeat.
After I drew the quickie semi-blind contour drawing, I noticed I was only able to fit in half of my mouth. Maybe subconsciously (or maybe serandipitously[!]) I don't think I have anything worthwhile to say, or something that hasn't already been said. I have a heart full of emotion that I just cannot put into words. I read other blogs and am so drawn that the writer is able to express the depths of their very souls. Those words resonate deep within me. A little encouragement goes a long way......doesn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love what i see unfolding in your journaling...i love the unleashing and opening to yourself and of yourself...

i see myself in a lot of this post you write...the perfectionism...not placing value on what is inside...

i had hoped you would look at your previous drawing with the kind of depth you are doing, and you are...i think what we are all reaching for begins with awareness...and in that awareness offering ourselves unconditional acceptance and welcome of whatever it may be...

encouragement goes a very long way...we all want to feel validated and valued...and i think the most important validation comes first to ourselves from ourselves...

this is another really beautifully heartfelt journal page...thank you so much for sharing yourself