Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 8

I call this "blind contour drawing-self portrait-with morning hair". Who am I kidding, my hair always looks like that. It's 5:33 am, and believe me, my eyes are NOT that wide open.
Blind contour drawing is an interesting process because you are only looking at your subject moving your eyes ever so slowly and moving your pencil at the same speed. It's difficult to not rush your eyes or your pencil. The results are er, well, judge for yourself. The inner critic quiets down. There is great freedom in this technique. I'm sure my mouth will straighten out once I've had my coffee.....

4 comments:

Gwen said...

awesome!! i will try this when my wrist is better, yours is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

actually...i am loving your drawing so much i can't wait to try it too...thank you so much for sharing it (i'd love to see you make a painting out of it...perhaps make a copy and play with some paint? :)

Patti Sandham said...

This is great! you make me want to try it now too. :)

Patti Sandham said...

Yes Chris this is a big blast for me. And to have something like this to do in January when winter can keeps you inside is brilliant!
Thanks for the Idea Misty! Hey we should do something like this every year.
inspired in Victoria :)